The purpose of this assignment is to a) identify a nursing theory, b) analyze the importance of the selected theory to the nursing profession, c) summarize key concepts and relationships among the concepts of the selected nursing theory, d) present views of the selected theory on areas of specialization, and e) communicate ideas in a clear, succinct and scholarly manner.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
• (CO#1) Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to their components, relationships among the components, logic of the propositions, comprehensiveness, and utility to advanced nursing. (PO1)
• (CO#3) Communicate the analysis of and proposed strategies for the use of a theory in nursing practice. (PO3, 7,10)
• (CO#4) Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO4, 7)
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 2
Total Points Possible: 100
Description of the Assignment
In this 5-6 page paper (not including the title or reference pages in the page count), the introduction contains a few statements about nursing theory in general, identification of
one nursing theory to be used in this paper, and the sections of the paper. The selected nursing theory can be from any of the three types of theories:
• grand theory (e.g., Roy adaptation model),
• middle-range theory (e.g., Benner’s model of skill acquisition),or
• practice theory (e.g., Im’s theory on the pain experience of cancer patients).
Note: the theories named here are examples only; students may choose any nursing theory.
- The first section of the paper is a description of the importance of nursing theory, in general.
- Key points and inter-relationships of those points of the selected theory are summarized. Biographical or historical information about the selected nursing theory or the nurse theorist is not included.
- The selected nursing theory’s views or ideas about nursing leadership, nursing education, health policy, or nursing informatics (only one of these specializations) are discussed briefly, using two examples from real life to illustrate the views. Real-life examples come from a student’s own practice or from the scholarly literature.
- The paper is concluded by presentation of insights gained (what was learned) about nursing theory through writing the paper.
Criteria for Content
• Introduction includes general comments on nursing theory (such as a definition of nursing theory and past exposure or experience with nursing theory), the name of the selected nursing theory, and the sections of the paper. A heading is not used.
• Section one contains an analysis of the importance of nursing theory, in general, to the nursing profession. For example, one might address why nursing theory is studied and how nursing theory impacts the profession and patient care.
• Section two is a summary of key concepts and relationships among the concepts of the selected nursing theory. Remember to state the name of the theory again. Avoid biographical and historical information about the theory or theorist. At a minimum, include reasons for selecting this theory, the purpose(s) of the theory, key concepts, relationships among key concepts, and how this theory addresses nursing’s metaparadigm. Students are not limited to these areas.
• Section three presents a discussion of how the selected nursing theory views nursing leadership, nursing education, nursing informatics, or health policy, along with 2 real-life examples illustrating the views. If the selected theory does not explicitly discuss the chosen specialization, a possible view of the specialization can be proposed. Remember that real-life examples come from a student’s own practice experiences or from the scholarly literature. Keep each example succinct (about 1 – 3 paragraphs).
• Section four is the conclusion. In the conclusion, ideas and understandings about nursing theory learned from writing the paper are shared.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
1. This assignment must be submitted to Turnitin, as required by the Turnitin policy. Check with the Instructor for more information.
2. The textbook required for this course may not be used as a reference for this assignment.
3. A minimum of 2 (two) scholarly references must be used.
4. Title page, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section or topic of the paper.
5. The paper (excluding the title page and references page) should be at least 5 pages. Points will be lost for not meeting these length requirements (too short or too long)
6. Ideas and information that come from readings must be cited and referenced correctly.
7. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in the 6th edition of the APA manual.