Nursing – Middle Range or Interdisciplinary Theory Evaluation
Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
As addressed this week, middle range theories are frequently used as a framework for exploring nursing practice problems. In addition, theories from other sciences, such as sociology and environmental science, have relevance for nursing practice. For the next few weeks you will explore the use of interdisciplinary theories in nursing.
This Application Assignment, due in Week 10, asks you to evaluate two middle range or interdisciplinary theories and apply those theories to a clinical practice problem. You will also create a hypothesis based upon each theory for an evidence-based practice project to resolve a clinical problem.
NOTE: This Application will serve as your Major Assessment for this course.
• Review strategies for evaluating theory presented by Fawcett and Garity in this week’s Learning Resources.
• Select a clinical practice problem that can be addressed through an evidence-based practice project. NOTE: You may continue to use the same practice problem you have been addressing in earlier Discussions and in Assignment #4.
• Consider the middle range theories presented this week, and determine if one of those theories could provide a framework for exploring your clinical practice problem. If one or two middle range theories seem appropriate, begin evaluating the theory from the context of your practice problem.
• Formulate a preliminary clinical / practice research question that addresses your practice problem. If appropriate, you may use the same research question you formulated for Assignment #4.
You will continue working on this Application in Weeks 8, 9, and 10 using material presented in those weeks to consider interdisciplinary theories that may be appropriate for exploring your practice problem and research question.
In a 8- to 10-page paper (including references):
• Briefly describe your selected clinical practice problem.
• Summarize the two selected theories. Both may be middle range theories or interdisciplinary theories, or you may select one from each category.
• Evaluate both theories using the evaluation criteria provided in the Learning Resources.
• Determine which theory is most appropriate for addressing your clinical practice problem. Summarize why you selected the theory. Using the propositions of that theory, refine your clinical / practice research question.