Formulate a Career Plan
Knowing which career you want to pursue is an important first step to tackling your job search and career goals. However, simply identifying an ideal position will not propel you to achieve these goals. To successfully attain your goals, there are recommended action steps for you to take.
For this assignment you will explore the requirements for your potential career path, assess your current skill set, and identify what action steps you can take to make your career goals more attainable. Take these steps to prepare your assignment.
- Read the Career Planning Step-by-Step (Links to an external site.) article to better understand the importance of developing a clear career plan.
- Watch the Resources for Developing an Effective Career Plan webinar (Links to an external site.).
- Review the : an interactive tool to help you gather information which you may wish to include in your career plan.
- Identify your long-term goals. Where would you like to be one to five years from now? What is the industry and role you would like to pursue for your career?
- Explore the skills and qualifications related to this type of role. What qualifications do you already possess? What new skills, knowledge, certifications, or trainings might you need to be successful? Identify the additional action steps you will need to take to be even more qualified for the position you would like to pursue. Be sure to set reasonable deadlines for these action steps.
- Reflect on your resources. What barriers do you need to overcome to be successful? Are there individuals in your personal or professional network who can help you?
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.