For Week 10 Assignment, choose one research article that you have not already evaluated. It should not be a review article, a meta-analysis, a meta-synthesis, a systemic review, or a mixed methods research study.
You will write a critique paper covering the following:
- State the problem clearly as it is presented in the report.
- Have the investigators placed the study problem within the context of existing knowledge?
- Will the study solve a problem relevant to nursing?
- State the purpose of the research. (This could be stated as the objective, aim, or purpose.)
Review of the Literature
- Identify the concepts explored in the literature review.
- Were the references current? If not, what do you think the reasons are?
- Are the theoretical concepts defined and related to the research?
- Does the research draw solely on nursing theory or does it draw on theory from other disciplines?
- Is a theoretical framework stated in this research piece?
- If not, suggest one that might be suitable for the study.
- What are the independent and dependent variables in this study? (The researchers will not always tell you what the variables are. You need to be able to identify them. Review what variables are. Many of you mislabeled the variables in the last assignment. Also remember that qualitative studies are more likely to use concepts and not variables. Qualitative research is studying a concept not looking at a cause/effect relationship.)
- Are the operational definitions of the variables (concepts) given? If so, are they concrete and measurable?
- Is the research question or the hypothesis stated? What is it? (Look carefully, but do not make one up if it is not given. Remember qualitative research rarely starts with a hypothesis.)
- What type of design (quantitative, qualitative, and type) was used in this study?
- Was inductive or deductive reasoning used in this study?
- State the sample size and study population, sampling method, and study setting.
- Did the investigator choose a probability or non-probability sample?
- State the type of reliability and the validity of the measurement tools.
- Were ethical considerations addressed?
- What data analysis tool was used? (Do not confuse data analysis with data collection.)
- How were the results presented in the study?
- Identify at least one (1) finding. (Be specific with the finding. Do not interpret it. Just state what was found. This is not necessarily the same as the conclusions.)
Summary/Conclusions, Implications, and Recommendations
- What are the strengths and limitations of the study?
- In terms of the findings, can the researcher generalize to other populations? Explain.
- Evaluate the findings and conclusions as to their significance for nursing.
The body of your paper should be 4–6 double-spaced pages plus a cover page and a reference page. The critique must be attached to the article and follow APA guidelines.