PricewaterhouseCoopers (2014), a company that provides audit and assurance, tax, and consulting services, stated labor is the single, largest expense most healthcare operations face, accounting for between 45 and 60 percent of operating cost. The healthcare field is highly regulated and a growing industry. With the shortage of healthcare workers, the process of sourcing, attracting, hiring, and retaining talent staff it is vital to the health of the organization.
PricewaterhouseCoopers. (2014). Medical cost trend: Behind the numbers 2015. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.com/us/en/health-industries/top-he…
View this Human Resource Management video regarding the Human Resource department.
In today’s job market, we see many human resource management changes and challenges evolving with the changes in a competitive market environment. One goal of the human resource department is to hire employees that will be as productive as possible, which in turn leads to more revenue and the success of an organization.
We see challenges in healthcare such as being properly staffed to care for the patient load, keeping morale high, keeping the budget down, and making sure the employee is properly trained and oriented, to name just a few.
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that explains the significance of human resource management in healthcare. Identify and discuss the following:
- How organizational restructuring has impacted staffing in healthcare organizations.
- What challenges does the Human Resources department face and what would you do to overcome these adversities?
- Does decreasing the number of employees always save an organization/company money? Why or why not?
- How would you select a “qualified person” for a position? What makes a successful leader in healthcare?
- In the competitive healthcare environment, how do we recruit and retain talented staff?
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support your position and answers to the questions.
- Limit your response to a maximum of 3 pages.
- Include an introduction and conclusion in your paper.
- Support your case with peer-reviewed articles, with at least 3-4 references. Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/pe….
- You may use the following source to assist in your formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01….
NOTE; There should be intext citations
Aladwan, K., Bhanugopan, R., & D’Netto, B. (2015). The effects of human resource management practices on employees’ organizational commitment. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 23(3), 472-492. Retrieved from ProQuest
Community Tool Box. (2016). Section 1. Developing a logic model or theory of change. Retrieved from http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/overview/mo…
Fried, B., Fottler, M.D., & Johnson, J.A. (2015). Chapter 5: Workforce Diversity. In Evans, R.M. (Ed.), Human resources in healthcare: Managing for success (4th ed.). (pp. 123-142). Chicago, Illinois: Health Administration Press.
Kabene, S.M., Orchard, C., Howard, J.M., Soriano, M.A., & Leduc, R. (2006). The importance of human resources management in health care: A global context. Human Resources for Health. 4(20), doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-4-20
Mosca, J. B., Puches, L., & Buzza, J. (2015). Human resource managers implement effective organizational change through leadership & process management. International Journal of Management & Information Systems (Online), 19(4), 115. Retrieved from ProQuest
Mukkelli, V. (2015). The changing role of human resource management in twenty first century challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Management Research and Reviews, 5(3), 170-178. Retrieved from ProQuest
Ognjenovic, K. (2015). On-the-job training and human resource management: How to improve competitive advantage of an organization? Organizacija, 48(1), 57-70. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/orga-2015-0005
W.K. Kellogg Foundation. (n.d.). Introduction to logic models. Retrieved from http://www.wkkf.org/knowledge-center/resources/200…
Human Resource Management. (2016). The importance and advantages of diversity in the workplace. [Video File]. Retrieved from
Monash Business School. (2012). Human Resource Management. [Video File]. Retrieved from