Background and Directions
In this exercise, you will take a virtual tour around the world in Google Earth to look at different types of volcanoes.
- Download the Google Earth program to your computer. (Don’t use the browser-based Google Earth that only works in Google Chrome.)
- To launch Google Earth with plate boundaries overlain, visit USGS Earthquake Hazards Program.Click on “Tectonic Plate Boundaries.” Google Earth should load.
- Click on https://volcano.si.edu/ge/GVPWorldVolcanoes.kml and that should load a second layer, this one of volcanoes.
- The volcanoes of the world should now appear if you zoom in far enough.
- Take a geographic journey around the world and report on the following types of volcanoes.
- You’re welcome to access information from other sources to complete the questions on this tour.