Select a culture to research throughout the semester.
This first paper will analyze what you find out about the culture 1) from depictions of the cultural group in U.S. media and 2) from academic journals or scholarly references explaining the communication/values of the cultural group.
Write 1,000-1,250 words in response to the following:
- Compare and contrast the concepts of stereotyping and ethnocentrism.
- Find two concrete examples that show how the cultural group you are studying is stereotypically represented by local and/or national media in the U.S. (This could include Comic Strips, Newspaper Articles, Advertisements, TV Shows, etc.).
- Compare and contrast these media stereotypes with research about the culture communication value orientations (pick two value dimensions from the list provided below, describe the value dimension, explain what research findings say about your culture in relation to these values, and give illustrations of how this is expressed in their communication).
- High vs. low-context
- High vs. low power-distance
- Individualism vs. collectivism
- High vs. low uncertainty avoidance
- Polychronic vs. monochronic
- Femininity vs. masculinity
- Long-term vs. short-term
- Indulgence vs. restraint
- Using academic sources, explain how mass-mediated stereotypes may affect communication between you and a member of this cultural group.
You will turn this paper into 2 places by the deadline (Day 7): 1) submit it into the assignment dropbox, and 2) post it into the MAIN FORUM under the folder your instructor sets up. (Your final draft of this assignment will be due by Day 7 of Topic 3.)
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.