The Social and Value Dimensions of Technology
- Discuss social issues raised by technology regarding privacy and intellectual property.
- Read the Case Study 38: “Software for a Library” from the text book and answer the questions at the end. Also, discuss the social ethical issues involved in this study and how they can be resolved. (use the template: Evaluating the Case Study)
- Explain the terms determinism, optimism and pessimism in evaluating technology with regards to social effects. (write at least 2 paragraphs for each)
Citation: Charles Harris, Jr., Michael Pritchard, Michael J. Rabins, Ray James, Elaine Englehardt (2013). Engineering Ethics: Concepts and Cases, 5th Edition. Cengage Learning.
- The Social and Value Dimensions of Technology (Chapter 4)
- How does the line-drawing approach help solve ethical problems and limit the risk on projects? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- How does working with a team cause potential ethical problems? How can these issues be limited and avoided? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- What makes engineering a true profession? What are the reasons of engineering not being considered to be the same level as medicine and law? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- Why is analyzing a case study central to ethical problem solving? What benefits does this analysis provide? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- Is the problem solving approach presented in this course similar or different from the engineering problem solving approach? Explain how and why it is different or similar? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).