Assignment: Applying the Health Belief Model to Populations
The Health Belief Model (HBM) has been used extensively to create effective health behavior change interventions and programs. The focus of the HBM is to describe how certain personal beliefs influence health behavior. Using the HBM constructs of perceived benefits, perceived barriers, perceived seriousness, perceived susceptibility, cues to action, modifying variables, and self-efficacy, you will apply the health belief model to a specific health topic.
For this Assignment, the topic will be assigned by your Instructor. However, you will select a target population from the populations provided in the Target Population document found in your Learning Resources.
- Review this module’s Resources.
- Visit the Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research’s Social and Behavioral Theories website to review the constructs of the Health Belief Model and complete Exercise 1.
- Review the topic assigned to you by your Instructor. Please be sure to contact your Instructor if you have any questions.
- Select one target population from the populations provided in the Target Population document found in your Learning Resources.
- Select at least three peer-reviewed, scholarly articles related to your assigned topic and target population.
Submit a 3- to 4-page paper (not including title page and references) that includes the following:
- Title page
- Health Belief Model
- In your own words, provide a brief description of the Health Belief Model.
- Perceived Benefits and Perceived Barriers
- Using the constructs of perceived benefits and perceived barriers, describe the assigned health topic and how these constructs apply to your selected target group. Be specific and provide examples.
- Other Constructs
- Select two other constructs of your choice and describe how the constructs specifically apply to your target group and the assigned health topic. Be specific and provide examples.
- Summary of HBM
- Summarize the HBM and its application to your selected target and assigned health topic.
- APA formatted references