Project Deliverable 3: Database and Data Warehousing Design
This deliverable is to be written to what you have created what your company does. You may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
One of the main functions of any business is to be able to use data to leverage a strategic competitive advantage. This feat hinges upon a company’s ability to transform data into quality information. The use of relational databases is a necessity for contemporary organizations; however, data warehousing has become a strategic priority due to the enormous amounts of data that must be analyzed along with the varying sources from which data comes. Since you are now the CIO of a data-collection company which gathers data by using Web analytics and operational systems, you must design a solution overview that incorporates data warehousing. The executive team needs to be clear about what data warehousing can provide the company.
Section 1: Design Document
- Write a four to six (4-6) page design document in which you:
- Thoroughly Support the need for data warehousing within your specific company (PSL)
- Thoroughly Elaborate on the best practices that the (PSL) company will adhere to.
- Thoroughly Create a schema that supports your specific company’s business and processes.
- Thoroughly Explain and support the database schema with relevant arguments that support the rationale for the structure. Note: The requirement for the schema should entail the tables, fields, relationships, views, and indexes.
- Thoroughly Create an Entity-Relationship (E-R) Diagram relating the tables of your database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio.
- Thoroughly Explain your rationale behind the design of your E-R Diagram.
- Thoroughly Create a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) relating the tables of your database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio
Thoroughly Illustrate the flow of data including both inputs and outputs for the use of a data warehouse. The diagram must map data between source systems, data warehouses and specified data marts. The diagram should map data between source systems, data warehouses, and specified data marts
- I have included deliverable 2 as background information to be used for this assignment.